[pmwiki-users] PmWiki forum...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 16 16:45:09 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:50:10PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> I'm looking at the PmWiki site, at pages like
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Questions and
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ and I have to say this is a
> terrible way to do things.  Almost an embarassment, considering how
> superb the software is.
>
> I think at least for questions like these there should be a searchable
> forum for people to ask questions and get answers. Most recent
> questions posted at the top.  Each question on its own page, with
> comments.  It would take 5 minutes to do it in ZAP or FOX.  Is there
> some reason we don't have something like that?

...because I've never been convinced that it will be a significant
improvement over what we have now.  Unless you're advocating that
we eliminate the mailing list, I think a forum would just add
yet another place to have to keep up to date (and where things
would go out of date).

Personally, I'd be in favor of removing the PmWiki/Questions page,
simply because it's not a place that is checked often for answering
questions.  Which really gets back to your original question ("why
don't we use a forum") -- like the PmWiki.Questions page, forums
don't work for me because they require that I constantly check
the site for new questions.  Electronic mail works much better
because it gives me a convenient way to respond.  I fear a forum
will end up being much the same as PmWiki.Questions -- questions
will get posted, but not enough people will be actively monitoring
them for them to get answered.

And personally, I've never found a forum that actually made it
significantly easier to find answers to my questions than mailing
list archives do.