[pmwiki-users] Skin & ... various questions

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Fri Mar 16 10:54:55 CDT 2007

kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
>> I wanted to say that $WikiTitle was not displayed
>> just next to the pmwiki logo, ... (like it is in the abitmodern skin).
>
> Do you have a url to point us to?
> Can we see the site, please?

It will make sure we're using the same terminology.

>> I do not have the skills to change css & tmpl files,
>> ... just looking for a wysiwyg editor ;-))

The bad news:

Using a wysiwyg editor for skins is just asking for headaches. They add
code which will break PmWiki, and they break the code PmWiki needs.

The good news:

It is very easy to edit the files directly.

(deletes instructions, looks like you've found a way)

More good news:

It will take under an hour to learn enough HTML and CSS to be very
comfortable editing those files.

The Beginner Guides on http://www.htmldog.com/guides/ seem good. Work
through the first three examples in each of the guides and read enough
of the rest to see the pattern. (Let me know if they aren't as easy as
they look, or if you find an easier tutorial.)

This will be enough to understand what is happening in the skin files,
and to understand the shorthand descriptions often used here.

The tmpl file is an html file with bits of extra code thrown in. The
program will read the tmpl file, replace the bits as described below,
rename it as html, and send it to the browser.

* $word is replaced with a value from the program, such as $WikiTitle
* <!--word:word--> is replaced with something longer, like the contents
of the sidebar or the actual page.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but if you want to do more
than a few tweaks, it will save more than an hour's worth of headaches
in the long run.

Sandy