[pmwiki-users] Paragraph-ending rule not working in lists?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 15:20:50 CDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:10:43AM +0100, Romano Giannetti wrote:
> 	I noticed a strange behaviour in pmwiki: often (especially when cutting
> and pasting text) it seems that a new line will generate a paragraph
> without the need of a blank line.

That's correct.  Paragraphs begin on any line that doesn't start with
some other form of "block" markup.  (Stated differently, blank lines
are not the key factor in determining the beginnings and ends of
blocks or paragraphs.)

> # But if I do
> the same
> in a list
> the result is quite different.

> [A]s you can see, the list item come out as a two-paragraph thing.

It should come out as a list with a single list item ("But if I do"),
and a paragraph contaning "the same in a list the result is quite different".

If you want all of the text to be part of a single list item, then indent
the second and subsequent lines to align with the first character of the
first line.  Thus:

    # But if I do
      the same
      in a list
      the result is quite different.

This results in a single list item containing "But if I do the same in a list
the result is quite different".

This indentation can also be used to put paragraphs within list items, as in:

    # This is
      list item
      number 1.

      This paragraph is part of the above list item.

    # This is
      list item
      number 2.

    This paragraph terminates the above list.