[pmwiki-users] Annoying question: Why do people switch to PmWiki?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 11 17:52:06 CDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:44:01AM -0500, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:
>    Language support is strong in many respects. This is critical for us in
>    the longterm. Some concerns:
>    * I do hope that utf-8 support will improve. (An initial brief experiment
>    with adding that option was not so positive.) Text displays beautifully as
>    is, but all non ISO-8859-1 characters are turned into dec codes, which is
>    not ideal for editing. And I would like to set up some more in extended
>    Latin scripts and Ethiopic/Ge'ez.

PmWiki doesn't turn non ISO-8859-1 characters into dec codes -- that's
strictly the browser that does that.  And if one enables UTF-8 characters
in PmWiki (i.e., include_once('scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php'); ) then the
characters aren't converted at all.

>    * Similarly RTL/bidi support for Arabic, though I know this is being
>    worked on. Words display fine but text alignment and behavior when LTR
>    text is inserted are problems.

I'll be happy to do whatever is needed to support rtl/bidi languages,
but since I know next-to-nothing about it I'll need someone to be
able to tell me what specifically is and is not working.