[pmwiki-users] Annoying question: Why do people switch to PmWiki?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Mar 10 02:00:21 CST 2007

Donald Z. Osborn said...
> I've asked this before without getting any echo, but since there are some
> folks who have apparently switched to PmWiki from other wiki software, I'm
> interested to hear what their rationale was and what they feel about their
> experience since.
>
> I ask because there are people with whom I am in contact who have made
> intimations about the quality of MediaWiki. On the latter I like it a lot
> (per use in Wikipedia) and don't disagree, but I also like PmWiki a lot due
> to its adaptability among other things. Frankly PmWiki was easier to set up
> than some others I looked into a couple of years ago, but that is probably
> not a factor for people switching to it...

For me, it came down to ease of extensibility, including interfacing
with other systems. It never ceases to impress me how easy it is to
create loosely coupled extensions/recipes to interface PmWiki with other
systems; be it email, a database, another encapsulated system, say, one
based on EJB, or whatever.

PmWiki is not just a great wiki, but an easy to get going
platform/framework for web-based development.

I also liked the groups idea - and that it isn't hierarchical - farms,
the permissions system, wikistyles, authuser and notify, and the
straightforward conditional markup. You can do quite a lot without ever
writing a line of PHP - aside from the config files, of course.

Patrick's ongoing development and endlessly patient support is not
something that I considered when switching, but it's a huge plus in
retrospect, as are all the folk around here similarly smitten with
PmWiki who generously give their time.

--
Cheers,
Marc