[pmwiki-users] re-using password information

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Thu Mar 8 10:15:51 CST 2007

On 2007-03-08 Tom Lederer is rumoured to have said:
> Like http://www.company.com and http://www.company-helpdesk.com: both
> are individual wikis (no Farm) and should share the same users.
>
> Is this possible with .htpasswd? Does somebody have a better idea?

My experience with Apache Basic Authentication tells me that:

1) It is possible to use the same .htpasswd file for more than one domain

2) Users will have to sign-on to each domain, even though the passwords
are the same.

Browsers cache passwords (until you quit the browser) but associate them
with specific domains. So one.example.com and two.example.com are seen
as different. However, one.example.com/wikione and
one.example.com/wikitwo will not force a scond sign-on.

If you are NOT using Apache BA and are just using .htpasswd to store
PmWiki authuser passwords then you should *may* able to have a single
sign-on. But I think the browser cookies that store the passwords may be
different.

Note that the password caching in Apache BA and the cookies used by
authuser are completely separate mechanisms.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/