[pmwiki-users] Simple AJAX chat?

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:50:45 CST 2007

On 3/5/07, Rene Visco <rvisco at csdr-cde.ca.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a chat feature in Pmwiki?  Wonder if it's possible to use the
> simple chat features in PMWiki?
>
> I work at a Deaf school where teachers would love to have chat features in
> our intranet so they can document their students' informal writing skills.

I have to agree that chat in a wiki is a bit of a square peg in a
round hole. However, I think a proper installation of Jabber would
suffice.[1] Jabber is an open-source chat server that is fairly easy
to install and run. For a while I administered one for some friends of
mine. One of the features that may help you is the ability to log
messages in the central server. So, the teacher can chat with a
student to assess informal writing abilities with a transcript that
can be referred to later or printed out. With some back-end scripting,
it would be possible to build a repository of teacher-student chats,
accessible via intranet site, that can help track progress.

[1]: http://www.jabber.org/