[pmwiki-users] Internationalization issues

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Fri Mar 2 12:35:28 CST 2007

Hello All,

"Simply unpack the archive" (i18n.tgz) as suggested in
"Internationalizations" is not what I consider suitable, there are
too many drawbacks.

A short <g> summary what I found in the first hours trying to make
PmWiki "internationalized"...

The archive is currently unusable for Windows systems since it
contains PmWikiPtBr.Sandbox and PmWikiPtBr.SandBox. I already removed
SandBox from pmwiki.org but couldn't correct the links in Sandbox
because something is blocked.

The filenames contain 8 bit characters which I usually don't want to
have on my PC. Is it really the intention to save pages with
arbitrary 8 bit characters in filenames, unencoded?

That's ugly, IMNSHO. On linux, "ls" shows only question marks,
midnight commander fails also. On Windows, it doesn't look better.
7Zip and Powerarchiver didn't even extract the correct names -
Cygwin's tar did the job finally.

IMO the i18n download should be split in languages. Most people don't
want to have all translations. It's larger than PmWiki itself...

When is the archive updated? The current version is dated 2006-08-07.

How are version dependencies (PmWiki version <-> i18n version)
handled?

Who selects which pages go to the i18n distribution? A quick look
showed nonsense pages in the PmWikiDe group like Glück, Heute,
Meineseite, AttachJojobaöl, TEST...

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiDe/StandDer%dcbersetzung is out of
sync with the archive: 30 files are missing in the archive, and 32
files are in the archive but not mentioned in the list. I will try to
fix this, but for the moment I only save the information I collected
on the "StandDerÜbersetzung" page.

After all, I would be happy with a German user interface for writers,
but stay with the English pages for administration and more advanced
topics. There certainly is a tradeoff between comfort and accuracy,
so from a certain level, I would prefer the English documentation
source.

The German "StandDerÜbersetzung" page already has a flag for the
audience (user, admin, system administration), what about moving this
information to page text variables?

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen