[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: SiteAdmin group migration

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 15 16:41:55 CDT 2007

More in the 2.2.0 finalization sequence.

Based on previous email messages, the PmWiki community seems broadly
in favor of creating a special "SiteAdmin" group to hold administrative
pages that should not be visible to the average visitor.  As a result
of this switch, sites with existing Site.AuthUser, Site.NotifyList,
Site.Blocklist, and Site.ApprovedUrls pages will need to have those
pages moved to a new location.

Because these pages are central to PmWiki's authentication system,
managing that transition in a "safe" manner has proven to be fairly
tricky.  In fact, it requires a somewhat more involved "upgrade"
process than what PmWiki has used in the past.

Rather than explain how it all works, what I need now is to
see if the process/documentation I've come up with will make sense
to people who haven't read any explanations (e.g., what someone might
encounter when upgrading from 2.1.x to 2.2.0 without reading
the ReleaseNotes.  :-)  So, you're my guinea pigs.

I've set up a demonstration site at

   http://www.pmichaud.com/sandbox/siteadmin/pmwiki.php

This demonstration site has been set up as though it were an
existing PmWiki site with Site.* pages that has been upgraded
to a version of PmWiki that expects the pages to be in SiteAdmin.
As such, it shows what administrators of pre-SiteAdmin sites
will encounter when upgrading to a version of PmWiki that uses
SiteAdmin.

In order to not color peoples' first impressions too much, I don't
want to say much more about it here.  Instead, I hope that people
will try the demonstration site and give feedback on any problems or
confusion encountered, and what it might need for a release.
The site admin password is "quick", if you get to a point where
you need it.

Since there will undoubtedly be lots of people testing the
upgrade process at the same time, if you get to the site and
don't see the upgrade notice (it'll be obvious when it comes up),
wait a minute and try again.  The site is set to automatically
reset itself to a "not yet upgraded" status after 60 seconds, so
that other people can test it.

Thanks in advance,