[pmwiki-users] HTML cache

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 8 14:03:05 CDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:19:43AM +0200, Christophe David wrote:
> $PageCacheDir         = 'cache.d';
> $PageListCacheDir    = 'cache.d';
> $EnableHTMLCache  = 1;
> $EnableIMSCaching  = 1;
>
> help a lot, as the resulting page is cached, and the next requests
> only need to read the cached version.
>
> However, with the settings above, the caching mechanism very often
> considers that the cache is outdated and regenerates the full pagelist
> (causing delays and/or problems on server ).
>
> Is it possible to tune the behaviour of the HTML caching, determining
> how changes are detected ?

At the moment, it's not easily possible to tune this behavior --
I've left it as a task for a later date.  Part of the issue
is that it can be a bit difficult to keep track of page
dependencies, so that we know what to test for validity of
a cached page.

> Or is it possible to force the use of the
> cached version for specific pages if the administrator decides so ?

If the administrator sets "force use cached version", how/when
would an out-of-date cached version of a page ever get updated?