[pmwiki-users] pmfeed translation glitch

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Sat Jun 2 23:52:08 CDT 2007

Hi, folks.  I'm having trouble with the pmfeed recipe...  I've got an
RSS feed that has a standard HTML curly apostrophe (’) in the
title of an article, but by the time it displays in the browser it has
been converted to ctrl-Y (ASCII 0x19), which displays as a box.

The problem seems to be in pmfeed's unhtmlentities function, which in
turn calls PHP's get_html_translation_table function.

Questions:

1) Is the unhtmlentities function perhaps left over from an old version
of PmWiki?  It seems to me that recent versions of PmWiki can handle
most HTML entities just fine without translation.  If this function is
no longer necessary, how should I safely go about disabling it?

2) Is it worth looking into whether my server's HTML translation table
is incorrect?  Is it likely to cause other problems down the line?

Thanks!  --Ben S.