[pmwiki-users] Wikiforms and templates (SameerKumar):pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 25, Issue 59

Dr Fred C drfredc at verizon.net
Mon Jul 30 19:18:18 CDT 2007

Sameer Kumar wrote:

> SEE BELOW FOR MY RESPONSE:
>

> Let me start by using the base wikiforms approach, ie without
>
> the title option. The title adds a lot of complexity and
>
> perhaps could be considered for a subsequent refined version.
>
> Getting titles straight in this case makes my head hurt.
>

> With numbered pages (formtitle disabled)...

> 1. set up 2 groups: eg FormData and FlexiData
>

> FormData is driven by FormData.FormTemplate and FlexiData
>
> is plain old wiki pages.
>

> 2. Set up FormData.GroupFooter with
>

> (:if exists FlexiData.{$Name} :)(:include FlexiData.{$Name}:)
>
> (:else:)[[FlexiData.{$Name} |Create flexi-text]] (:ifend:)

Forget the conditional.  Conditional code is for programmers and
hackers, not wikis.  Programmers, NOT wiki users or wiki admins, should
provide code to handle conditional exceptions for their code without
asking users or admins to do their work for them.

Example (:Flexidata.DataName} :)  If DataName doesn't exist, let the
webware figure out error handling  out and provide some simple process
to handle error handling  (example, a list of New, DataName, DataNameX,
DataNameY, etc).

> 3. Set up FlexiData.GroupFooter with
>

> (:if exists FormData.{$Name} :)[[FormData.{$Name} |Return to form-text]]
>
> (:ifend:)

See above...

Grade -- A for initiative to add something of value,  F for user function.

Wikis are not supposed to be about providing another forum for hackers
to do their thing.

--

Always, Dr Fred C
drfredc at drfredc.com