[pmwiki-users] Wikiforms and templates (Sameer Kumar): pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 25, Issue 59

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Jul 25 16:59:41 CDT 2007

On Thursday, 26 July 2007 5:00 AM, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
<snip>
>   3. Wikiforms and templates (Sameer Kumar)
>
><snip>

>Message: 3
>Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:26:09 -0400
>From: "Sameer Kumar" <skumar at eharch.com>
>Subject: [pmwiki-users] Wikiforms and templates
>To: <pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com>

>I would like to have a pre-formatted "infobox" (table) at the top of
>every page in one of my groups with some standard information.
>
>I would liket to have a form where the authors can fill in the fields
>and thereby create a new page. I want the entries to become a part of
>this "infobox" and locate itself on the top of this page. Moreover, I
>then want them to be able to add any text below the infobox like any
>other wikipage after they have provided the standard
>information.
>

>I have created a form using wikiform where I am successfully getting the
>input from the authors. For the pre-formatted textbox, I have used a
>ViewTemplate.
>
>The problem is that the ViewTemplate does not allow any other text added
>directly to the page to show up.
>

>Is there a way to use the ViewTemplate for only a part of the
>page?
>
>Is there another recommended method for achieving what I am
>looking for?

Sameer:

Currently, the wikiforms recipe's form and view templates apply
to the whole page, so it doesn't currently allow you to use a
form to edit part of the page and the regular edit function to
edit the rest. You have a couple of options, I think:

1 using existing functionality, make the last field a type text
  with size (say) 30*80, which will treat the rest of the page
  after your real fields as a textarea, and use a view template
  that omits the last field name, so the text looks like normal
  wiki page text

2 we would have to modify the forms recipe to support something
  like a (:startform:) (:endform:) directive pair, which would
  allow any part of a page to be treated as a form; this could
  be done, I think, but option 1 would be much easier

I am doing something similar at the moment using pmwiki to
write letters. The body of the letter is a big text area, with
opening and closing fields wrapped around it.

Hope this helps.

--
JR
--