[pmwiki-users] Using PmWiki as my Knowledge Base

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Jul 19 17:33:57 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 03:33:15PM -0600, Nelson E. Ingersoll wrote:
>    I am trying to determine if it is possible for me to PmWiki as my
> Knowledge Base.  Often I will create content and I believe that PmWiki will
> be excellent for that.  However, I will also need to be able to access,
> preferably through PmWiki, already created non-Wiki content.  PDF files,
> HTML, text files, Word/Excel documents.

There are two ways to access non-Wiki files in PmWiki.

1) Use the "upload" mechanism (aka the "Attach:" markup).
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Uploads
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin

2) Put the files on your webserver (that is, places where your webserver
can access them) and use the "Path:" markup.

Where did you install PmWiki?

Assuming, for example, that you installed it in /var/www/htdocs/pmwiki
then the webserver would know how to access files in the /var/www/htdocs
directory.
So suppose you created the /var/www/htdocs/data directory, and put your
non-Wiki files there.

To access the file /var/www/htdocs/data/mypdf.pdf you would use the
following markup:

Path:/data/mypdf.pdf

Is that as clear as mud?

Kathryn Andersen