[pmwiki-users] Tri-Linguality with columns?

Torsten Philipp TorstenPhilipp at gmx.net
Sun Jul 15 12:52:40 CDT 2007

Hi there,

I don't know if you can help me with my problem, but I'll try my luck.

So I'd like to have this wiki (http://free-music.uk.pn/) trilingual (german, english, french). The point is that I wanna have all three languages on one page next to each other in one column each. Atm I'm using the MakeManyColumns recipe for this. (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MakeManyColumns). I thought this would be a good way to make users aware of the internationality of the discussed issues in the wiki and to have all three languages equal to each other instead of one language below the other would foster translingual collaboration.

So now I'm just about to see that this way with the three columns is a bit disadvantageous: The narrowness of the columns makes reading little fun, it seems impossible to have three tables of contents on one page (one toc for each column), it's hard to edit the markup since it's getting very much "polluted" with the css-code that is necessary to make the three columns and I'm afraid there are more problems yet to come.

Anyway my concept of pmwiki is still very narrow so I'd like to know what the members of this list who have a deeper and broader comprehension of pmwiki think if there is a more usable approach to have three languages on one page next to each other and if not what a more practical solution for having a wiki with three languages could look like.

Thanks a lot for any ideas and comments,
Torsten

--
Free Music Podcast - http://www.freemusicpodcast.de/

Free Music Wiki - http://www.free-music.uk.pn/