[pmwiki-users] hierarchical groups possibility

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Jan 29 13:26:29 CST 2007

On 1/29/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 06:38:57AM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> > The little idea that sparked this renewed interest was how easy it was
> > to generate page variables by exploding a group name by hyphens.  One
> > line can do
> >
> > Pets-Care-Groom.Poodle
> >
> > {$g1} = Pets
> > {$g2} = Care
> > {$g3} = Groom
>
> Note that we can do the same thing with dots:
>
>    Pets.Care.Groom.Poodle

I deliberately used hyphens to emphasize "subgroups" and the
difference between the group and name parts of the page--as I'm not
trying to really change how PmWiki works. I know Pm won't move until
he has the "right" solution, but in the interim we can have something
with at least partial functionality....

> Early versions of 2.0 even automatically understood "Pets.Care.Groom.Poodle"
> as meaning "Poodle" within the "Pets.Care.Groom" group.
>
> > My initial goal is simply to make relative links only able to point to
> > sister pages in the same group (exactly as now).  Otherwise absolute
> > links would be required (also as now).  The page variables only make
> > this somewhat simpler.
>
> Yes, if we limit ourselves to relative links always in the same
> group, and absolute links, then there's no difficulty.  I've long
> indicated this to be the case.  But then what we have really isn't
> "hierarchical groups" -- at least not in the sense that many people
> would use the term.

I understand, but just the same, perhaps some people will find this
little script useful for what it can do.

> > My guess is in the vast majority of cases, the real need for
> > hierarchical groups is being able to make config and css files
> > inheritable.
>
> People also want permissions to be inheritable, and the ability
> to easily link between pages in separate parts of the hierarchy --
> especially from a "higher-level" page to a "lower-level" one
> (e.g., a "subpage").

I hadn't thought at all about permissions.  Can this be done?  To
borrow the conditions from one page and apply them to another somehow?
 Perhaps even all at once?  This is pretty important...  But I don't
have a clue how to do it...

As for one easy link system, I'm working on a markup right now, but
again, it's just a temporary solution until we get the right one I
know Pm will come out with eventually.

Cheers,
Dan