[pmwiki-users] 2 PMWiki RSS problems

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 22 20:50:10 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:34:48PM -0600, JB wrote:
> PMWiki is giving 2 problems from the RSS validator
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/2uhtx2

If I read this correctly, the validator says that the
"feed is valid, but may cause problems for some users."
So, PmWiki's feed is technically correct.

The two items listed are

"An item should not include both pubDate and dc:date."

    Okay, but which one should we use?  Some aggregators
    look primarily for dc:date, others work only with pubDate.
    PmWiki does what many RSS developers recommend, which
    is to provide both.  As the validator notes, having both
    isn't invalid, it's just that some feel there should be
    only one date in the feed (and this bias is reflected in
    the validator you chose).

    Still, it's easy enough to disable locally -- simply set

        $FeedFmt['rss']['item']['dc:date'] = '';

    Or disable pubDate if that's your particular pleasure.

"item should contain a guid element."

    Fair enough, we can add <guid> to the feed defautl.
    I guess a reasonable guid would be the url of the page,
    i.e., $PageUrl?  If so, then it can be added with

        $FeedFmt['rss']['item']['guid'] = '$PageUrl';