[pmwiki-users] How to present a web site ...

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Sun Jan 21 11:21:11 CST 2007

Jan Erik Moström wrote:
> I couldn't figure out a good subject line for this email :-)
>
> I've been considering using web site (I'm not sure I want/can
> use it but ...) and there is one thing I would like to do but I
> don't know if it's possible.
>
> Assume a public web site that should have a certain look & feel,
> that is: no edit/history/etc links, just the standard look &
> feel. The ability to edit would be limited to a number of people
> and handled with the usual mechanism. But how do I make the
> pages easily editable for these people, my first idea for how to
> solve this would be to use two skins and change which one to use
> depending if the user has been logged in or not (I don't know if
> this can be done).
>
> Is it possible to do like this? Is there a better way to do it?
> (so far this isn't a real site I'm just looking at various
> alternatives for what can be done)
>
>                                      jem

Yes, it is possible, and you needn't do anything as complicated as a
separate skin. PmWiki rocks!

www.cricket.onebit.ca does it using (:if:) statements in Site/SideBar to
hide the "special" links. Remember, the sidebar is just another
wikipage, as is Site/PageActions.

Notice the Login link at the bottom of the sidebar? If you could log in,
you'd see the following:

User: Super

Logout
Edit
Page Password
Site Admin

Main Site

--bunch of links that everyone sees, including Search-box for the public

Search-box for the pmwiki documentation

Logout

See also:

http://www.cricket.onebit.ca/Site/SideBar?action=source

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageActions-Draft

Note that many of the actions aren't visible, thanks to the (:if:)
statements. Also note that I use SearchBox rather than the search action
-- it does more with one instruction.

More complete instructions are on the PmWiki site under the RoseTrellis
skin. I forgot to credit the several CMS recipes I took bits and pieces
from.

Even if a non-authorized user gets hold of one of the hidden links, he
won't be able to use it -- he'll be asked for a password.

Cheers!

Sandy