[pmwiki-users] Announce: Slender, pmwiki-based wiki making a fresh start

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 18 15:39:31 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 04:17:07PM -0500, Henrik wrote:
>    Re [[<<]]
>
>    FWIW I use:
>
>    (:block-divider:) and (:block-spacer:) directives

I hadn't really thought about using directives, but that's
definitely a possibility.

The [[<<]] markup is left over from when we didn't have a
way to conveniently specify line breaks (<br> tags).
Since then we've introduced the idea of using trailing backslashes
for inserting <br>'s, but we still needed a way to do clear='all',
and I've also kept [[<<]] around because there are times when
someone might want to specify a line break directly in the
middle of a markup line.

But I think that nowadays the only time that [[<<]] is used
is to skip below any floating elements.  Perhaps a wikistyle
would serve the same purpose-- i.e.  %clear% would cause the
current block to appear below any floating content?

    %rfloat% Attach:floatingimage.jpg
    This text appears to the left
    of the floating image.

    %clear% This text appears below the floating image.

The (:block-divider:) directives feel like "too much typing"
to me, plus I'm not sure that the name matches what I expect to
happen.  :-)

At any rate, if/when we come up with a suitable replacement for
[[<<]], I'll undoubtedly do a search/replace on pmwiki.org for it.  :-)