[pmwiki-users] Parentheses in links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 16 13:07:50 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:58:51PM +0000, J. Meijer wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:58:43 -0600
> > On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 05:44:02PM +0000, J. Meijer wrote:
> > > Maybe I should add a 3rd item to this list: automatic line-joining into
> > > paragraphs. While in the past there were good motives to do so I think we
> > > now have the option of the (:div:) (or >><<) markup. Removing automatic
> > > line-joining also allows <br> to be inserted more elegantly.
> >
> > This is already possible using the (:linebreaks:) markup
> > (or performing its equivalent in local/config.php).
> > Or did you mean something else?
>
> I am talking mainly about defaults. The (:nolinebreaks:) is the
> pmwiki default. I think it would be cleaner to have this changed.
> [...]
> So I challenge: what problem does automatic line-joining really
> solve? I may be able to challenge those that think it is required.

This particular issue (linebreaks vs. nolinebreaks as default) has
been discussed _many_ times here in the past, with about equal numbers
of people arguing for each side.  Proponents of each side have
had extremely good and valid reasons for their position.

Because there's not a clear-cut argument in favor of one side
versus another, and the numbers are about equal for each, I've
decided that continuity is more important.  Also, automatic
line-joining is the default in several other similar applications
(including, notably, Wikipedia), so there's a good argument to
be consistent with that.

Check the mailing list archives to see the reasons why people have
argued strenously in favor of automatic line-joining.