[pmwiki-users] standalone on Mac OSX?

jeb eddy jeb at mac.com
Sun Jan 14 15:29:22 CST 2007

Per instructions at Cookbook/Standalone, I have downloaded MAMP.
(I also edited the page, to include the fact that it is a 60MB
download and 180MB install.)

The acronym stands for Mac-Apache-MySQL-PHP.

I launch the MAMP app, and it seems to run fine -- a window with
green lights for Apache and MySQL servers.

I have downloaded and unzipped the latest PmWiki files.

Step #2 of the Cookbook/Standalone instructions says:

"Unzip and put the PmWiki files in the folder MAMP/htdocs/"

To me  this is not quite clear.  Should I put the entire FOLDER
containing the unzipped wiki files into htdocs/?

Or just the files from within the unzipped folder?

This quote is from the ReadMe file from MAMP is equally non-specific:

"Put your HTML and PHP files in the htdocs folder!"

In the PmWiki standalone for Windows, which I have succeeded in
installing and running previously, the PmWiki files stay within a
folder.

Anyway, on the Mac, I have tried it both ways --
a) all the PmWiki files go to htdocs/, and
b) only a folder, containing the wiki files, in htdocs/.

But I'm still getting "refused," "unable to connect" messages, or a
"not found" page on Earthlink, in Safari and Firefox, when I launch a
browser to http://localhost.wiki.

I have copied the "config.php" file into local/, but done no editing
of paths or anything else, because there are no instructions telling
me to do so.

I'm guessing that a small step is missing from the PmWiki-for-Mac instructions?

Can another friendly Mac user here give me the nudge I need?

Thx,

Jeb Eddy

PS: FWIW, I was one of the tens of thousands of MacWorld attendees a
few days ago who gaped at the only iPhone available for public view.
It was on a pedestal, under a sealed glass or plastic dome, with
light from below, rotating slowly and changing screen images.  The
symbolism as an object of worship was pretty clear. I look forward to
having one, to use to browse to and edit my PmWiki sites!