[pmwiki-users] Requiring HTMLHeader/HTMLFooter (was: togglelink recipe)

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Jan 6 12:19:00 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 11:11:30AM -0600, Jon Haupt wrote:
> > >
> > > I updated both togglelink.php and showhide.php to load the javascript
> > > inside the function via $HTMLFooterFmt.
> >
> > Do note that this requires that your skin use <!--HTMLFooter-->
> > somewhere, or the code has nowhere to go.  (the skin I was using
> > didn't, so I had to figure out what was going on when I updated!)
>
> Along these lines, I've been planning to change the skins code
> in 2.2.0-beta such that it returns an error if a skin template
> is missing the required <!--HTMLHeader--> directive
> (or <!--HeaderText--> for older sites).
>
> This means that any site that upgrades to 2.2.0 but is using
> a skin that is missing <!--HTMLHeader--> will stop working
> (but the error message will make it fairly obvious why, and
> there will be a configuration variable to suppress the check.)
>
> Skins that _really_ want to suppress the HTMLHeader will be able
> to provide a <!--NoHTMLHeader--> directive in the template.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Any reason PmWiki shouldn't generate an error if <!--HTMLHeader-->
>     is missing from a template?

Not imo. That said, I think this raises the issue discussed a couple of
months back about CSS ordering and the use of pmwiki-core-css. i.e.
using:

  <link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'
     href='$FarmPubDirUrl/css/pmwiki-core.css' />
  <!--HTMLHeader-->

and nulling all the PmWiki $HTMLStylesFmt entries in skin.php.

> 2.  Should we also require <!--HTMLFooter--> as well, and report an
>     error if it's not present in the template?

If recipes are now relying on it, then I feel that it should be reported
as an error.

--
Cheers,
Marc