[pmwiki-users] Importing existing TWiki Pages into PMWiki

Alan Hoyle alanh at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 3 14:52:33 CST 2007

On 1/2/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:11:19AM -0800, Bob Felts wrote:
> >    I am unable to find anything on import of existing pages from another wiki
> >    system into pmwiki.  Is this easily done?  My company has a few thousand
> >    TWiki pages established, and I am considering switching to pmwiki.
> >    However, this is impossible if we have to abandon all the work
> >    accomplished to date. Any suggestions?
>
> I'm not too familiar with TWiki -- does it have a feature or option
> to export your existing pages into files or something that could
> be easily processed?  If so, I could see about implementing something
> that could then convert those into PmWiki-compatible formats.
>
> I've done something similar in the past for UseMod wiki pages, and
> it mostly works, although there are often some things that don't
> map exactly (for UseMod, subpages don't have an exact mapping;
> for TWiki there might be some issues with the hierarchical structure
> that TWiki uses).

When I was first installing wikis, I had a TWiki and PhpWiki
installations.  TWiki is Perl-based and uses flat files, though it has
an incompatible wiki markup format.

I was fortunate in that my wikis hadn't grown so big (~50 pages total,
 simple markup) that it was easier to do the translation/edits
manually, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to write a script to do
the translation, depending on how complex the source markup is.  My
method (which isn't scalable) was to load up the page source in the
old wiki, copy/paste to emacs, do a few edits/search & replace/macros,
and paste the resulting wiki-source into PmWiki.

-alan

--
   Alan Hoyle  -  alanh at unc.edu  -  http://www.alanhoyle.com/
                Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.