[pmwiki-users] Turning off register_globals using ini_set()

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 08:33:23 CST 2007

On 1/3/07, Athan <foxx at freemail.gr> wrote:
> My new webhost provider has php5 register_globals = ON and I want to turn it
> off for pmwiki only. Unfortunately PHP5 is running as CGI threfore I cannot
> use .htaccess for this purpose.
> I've tried adding ini_set('register_globals', 0); in pmwiki's local.php.
> Unfortunately action=phpinfo still displays local register_globals as ON,
> although other php5 settings altered using ini_set() in local.php work just
> fine.

Ouch..  Why would your provider do this?  I'm guessing another hosted
site needed it..  Have you tried informing them of the dangers of
register_globals?

> Did I miss something ?

Yep..  From the PHP manual :

"Please note that register_globals  cannot be set at runtime
(ini_set()). Although, you can use .htaccess if your host allows it as
described above. An example .htaccess entry: php_flag register_globals
off."

You can't set this via ini_set..  It has to be htaccess or in the php.ini file..

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
XenoPhage0 at gmail.com