[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Do I need Zap or Fox?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sat Feb 24 20:57:33 CST 2007

On 2/24/07, Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 12:10:29AM +0000, Francis Casson wrote:
> > I basically want users to be able to edit and add  lines to tables without
> > going directly into the wiki markup which can get rather confusing for long
> > tables.  I like the 'delete' button that comes with AddDeleteLine2, but
> > really also want an 'edit' button  that calls the data from that line of
> > table back to the form and then allows it to be updated.  I suspect probably
> > both Zap and Fox will do what I need, but I am tempted to go with Zap just
> > because it has nice documentation for a semi-novice like myself... What are
> > the differences between the two?  I can't make it out from their cookbook
> > pages!
>
> My understanding is that Fox is for adding content to a given page (and
> deleting it); which is useful for adding comments and forums and things like that.
>
> Zap is oriented towards editing "data pages" with forms, not adding
> additional content to pages.
>
> I'm not entirely sure which one would be better for your purposes.

Fox is probably more what you are looking for as I think it is
designed specifically for what you have in mind.  You can do the same
thing in ZAP using its log function, and it might be a better option
if you want to use some of ZAP's various other functions, but I'm out
of town again another week and won't be able to provide much support.
And Hans is good at providing support for Fox.  Another good reason to
take a look at Fox.

To summarize the difference between Fox and ZAP, I would say ZAP is a
multipurpose forms processing engines with many capabilities that can
be used for many kinds of applications.  Fox has one specific
purpose--inserting content into a page.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dan