[pmwiki-users] Keeping recipes up to date

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 15 07:38:05 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:11:26AM -0000, marc wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud said...
> > However, the recipeupdates.php script requires that PHP be configured
> > to allow url fopens, and many web hosting providers have this
> > capability turned off as a security precaution.
>
> Also, why not use curl instead of fopen? As you say, it's not at all
> unusual for fopen to be switched off on shared hosts, and
> allow_url_fopen has been unavailable since 4.3.4 (so say the docs).

I suspect that a lot of PHP installations will have allow_url_fopen
enabled but not have curl present.  And from a security perspective
I would find it strange for a web hosting provider to disable
allow_url_fopen but leave curl enabled.  (This isn't to say that
there might be a good reason for doing this, or that web hosting
providers don't do strange things. :-)

Also, allow_url_fopen is still available in PHP after 4.3.4 --
what changed in 4.3.5 is that allow_url_fopen can only be set
in the system's php.ini file (prior to that it could be set
anywhere, including a .htaccess file or a running script).
I'm running PHP 4.4.4 and 5.0.4 on a couple of systems and
they all have allow_url_fopen present.

Thanks!