[pmwiki-users] Experiments with pagelist caching

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 8 10:00:43 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:46:02PM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:57:56PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I've done a bit of experimenting with caching pagelist output --
> > you can see the results at
> >   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook-ByCategory
> > [...]
> > I haven't yet decided if I will adopt this into the core
> > (the performance may still not be as good as I'd like), but
> > comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome as always.
>
> Well, surely some improvement on performance is better than none?
> Or are you simply saying you don't want it in the core because you have
> something better in mind already?

Sort of.  In general I don't like putting things into the core
that stand a reasonable chance of being removed/replaced in the
near future.  I'm too afraid people will start building recipes
that rely on the particular implementation, and then things break
when I make the replacement.

That said, after having a chance to sleep on it a bit I think
the immediate speed improvement (especially for sites with
lots of pages and doing lots of dynamic pagelist-like stuff)
is probably worth the risk of changing things again down the
road, especially since the RoadMap indicates that we may be
re-thinking indexing and page storage in the future anyway.

Thanks!