[pmwiki-users] Experiments with pagelist caching

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 7 15:57:56 CST 2007

I've done a bit of experimenting with caching pagelist output --
you can see the results at

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook-ByCategory

This page contains about 22 separate pagelist directives, and
when caching is disabled it takes about 15-20 seconds to generate.
To see the time required when caching is disabled, try

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook-ByCategory?cache=0

The pagelist caches are automatically invalidated whenever a page
is updated on the site, and are regenerated on the next pagelist
request.  Subsequent requests use the cached list.

The caching is even smart enough to properly handle read-protected
pages when $EnablePageListProtect is set, so that the cached
results do not depend on the authorizations in effect when the
pagelist was generated.

I haven't yet decided if I will adopt this into the core
(the performance may still not be as good as I'd like), but
comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome as always.