[pmwiki-users] Turn Off Safe Mode

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Feb 6 17:55:50 CST 2007

Ian Barton wrote:
> Try changing the ownership of wiki.d to whoever the web server is
> running as. In my case this would be:
>
> chmod -R www.data-www.data wiki.d
>
> You may need to poke about in the Apache config file to find out what
> user the web server is running as.
>
> Ian.

It  sure looks like the web server is running as "apache" ; .flock
.htaccess. .lastmod .pageindex
are all owned by apache. httpd.conf show it running as apache
(but there other httpd.includes  that cat together
for conf httpd start up, it's complicated....)

but if I  chown -R apache wiki.d  then PMwiki is not happy at all.
the skin loads (from the core farm/pub)
but it cannot load the home page for the field.. says "cannot acquire
lockfile"...

Note: these are virtual domains set up by control panel PLESK. in this
case PLESK
is setting the virtual domain own for this site as "wikihinduorg"

it lives  here along side the core PMwiki installation

/var/www/vhosts/wiki.hindu.org/httpdocs/pmwiki/*stand installation files
/var/www/vhosts/wiki.hindu.org/httpdocs/seva/wiki.d  (it is a field)

in pmwiki.php I looked for "mkdir" and see this

  $safemode = ini_get('safe_mode');
   if (!$safemode) $msg .= "<br /><br />Or, for a slightly more
     secure installation, try executing <pre>    chmod 2777
$parent</pre> [snip-etc.]

I'm not getting that message... does this mean PHP is still running in
safe mode
and that perhaps in fact, despite my setting  it off in /etc/php.ini
and restarting
the server, that it is still on?

I'll escalate this up to the support team at the data center...though they
may deem it a "pay for support, customization" request to sort it out.
I'm over  my head here...

PMwiki.php itself is owned by wikihinduorg

TIA

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com