[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 4 16:34:56 CST 2007

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:08:56PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> >But the truth is that there's no one dimension that can neatly cover
> >everything.
>
> I reorganized things along two dimensions: private/public v.s. ro/rw.

Cool.  I've reorganized that version a bit further...

  scripts/         farm    private  read-only    core
  wikilib.d/       farm    [1]      read-only    core
  local/           field   private  read-only    local
  cookbook/        [2]     private  read-only    local
  farmconfig.php   farm    private  read-only    local

  wiki.d/          field   private  read-write   local
  temp.d/          field   private  read-write   local
  files/           field?  private? read-write   ?      [ See note ]

  pmwiki.php       farm    public   read-only    core
  pub/guiedit/     farm    public   read-only    core
  pub/skins/       [2]     public   read-only    local
  pub/css/         field   public   read-only    local

  pub/cache/       field?  public   read-write   local
  uploads/         field   public   read-write   local

> I added cache/ above. I don't think it has to have a reasonable URI.

I think pub/cache/ is reasonable.  Most publicly cached information
tends to be images or css files where the url isn't commonly seen
anyway.

> I also added files/ which is used by a 'notify' script I've written for
> monitoring changes to uploaded files. I don't know if there should be a
> separate area where recipes can store persistent data.

I think that files/ is essentially the same as temp.d/ .
At any rate, my intent for the "work directory" (that started
this thread) has been that it be a place where recipes and scripts
can store persistent data... so I don't think we need an extra
such directory.  (And if we do need such a directory, that's
another argument for having a separate writable directory to
contain wiki.d/, temp.d/, files/, etc.)

> Similarly, I could imagine a skin that allows users to modify the CSS
> files. So maybe they would require to be stored in a public and read-write
> area.

I would think that skin-generated/modified CSS files should
go into pub/cache/ .  For example, this is exactly what
the CSSInWikiPages recipe does.