[pmwiki-users] possible bug in notify.php - bug squashed!

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Sun Feb 4 01:20:59 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Well, the odd thing is that notify doesn't talk directly to the
> mail server.  The notify.php script uses PHP's mail() function
> to send mail, and the "From:" header is passed as an "additional_headers"
> parameter to mail().  According to the PHP docs [1], on Windows
> servers the mail() function itself parses and processes the From:
> header (along with Cc:, Bcc:, and Date:) instead of having an MTA
> do it.  So, it would seem to be a problem with the PHP mail()
> function itself.

Hi Patrick

Sorry for the wild goose chase. It turns out the problem is in my
PHP.ini file.

Somehow I had commented out this line:
sendmail_from = xyz at example.com

This line appears to have 2 functions under Windoze:
1) it is used to set the <return-path> in the SMTP envelope
2) it is used for the From header if none is supplied by the mail() call

If sendmail_from is not set, then it looks like PHP takes the From
supplied by mail() and tries to turn it into a <return-path>. It doesn't
quite get the parsing right and includes the space that follows the colon.

I made this change, restored notify.php, and everything now works as
expected.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/