[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 3 15:30:14 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 10:20:54PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >I'd be very interested to hear suggestions for what we should name this
> >'top-level writable directory'.  (In fact, it's my major block at this
> >point.)  Ideally it should be something that aids understanding by new
> >PmWiki administrators as to the directory's purpose.
>
> How about
> 	write.d/
> or even
> 	writeable.d/
>
> But maybe you should write down a simple explanation of the purpose of
> this directory?  For instance, is it supposed to *not* be accessible
> directly via the web?

The purpose of the directory is to be the place where PmWiki
creates files of various sorts, excluding uploads.  This includes
a wiki.d/ directory for holding page files, as well as various
subdirectories (e.g., work.d/) to hold work files that PmWiki
uses at various times, including flock, pageindex, notifylist,
PHP session files, etc.

The files within the writable directory are not intended to be
accessed directly via the web.  It will generally be protected
by a .htaccess file.  Sites that want to run things in a
somewhat more secure fashion will be able to set a configuration
variable to locate the writable directory outside of the normal
pmwiki/webserver tree.