[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 3 10:03:51 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:40:56PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >The structure would be something like:
> >
> >   pmwiki/
> >     pmwiki.php        # main PmWiki script
> >     cookbook/         # directory for cookbook scripts
> >     data.d/           # top-level writable directory
> >       wiki.d/         # page file storage
> >       work.d/         # temporary/work files
> >     docs/             # basic documentation
> >     local/            # local customizations
> >     ...etc...
>
> What about uploads/, pub/cache/ etc?

They remain as before -- I was trying to keep the message short.  :-)

> I also would prefer 'var.d' or 'var' instead of 'data'. In the *nix wold
> that means something, e.g. that you should be aware that applications
> write data to it, so it might consume disk space.

Lots of (most?) PmWiki administrators aren't familiar with
Unix conventions, such as var/ .  I'd like something that's
going to be quickly understood even by people who are unaware
of the Unix meaning of "var/".  (Even among Unix administrators
I find a lot of people who don't understand "var". :-)

> Btw, wouldn't it be possible that a PmWiki creates some many, and big,
> pages that the partition gets full?  What would happen if I wrote a script
> that started creating pages at pmwiki.org? (Besides you being angry with
> me of course :-)

Sure, it's possible.  There have definitely been sites that have
run up against quota or disk space limits.  PmWiki handles it
relatively gracefully, by not saving any new pages but also not
losing the contents of existing pages.  The operating system is often
less graceful about things when a partition gets full.