[pmwiki-users] possible bug in notify.php

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Sat Feb 3 00:13:34 CST 2007

I am running pmwiki-2.1.26 and last Sunday I switched servers. Since
then, I haven't received any emails from notify.php.

The only change that I can think of that would trigger this is that I
switched from PHP 4 to PHP 5.

I upgraded Apache too, but I can't see it being the problem.

By looking at the detailed transaction logs on the mail server, I
isolated the problem. During the SMTP handshake the MAIL FROM: is being
filled with a bad address:

< nospam at eton.ca>

instead of the correct:

<nospam at eton.ca>

I am not sure who puts on the angle brackets (PmWiki, PHP, or the mail
server) but I cured it by changing the following line in notify.php:

if (@$NotifyFrom)
   $NotifyHeaders = "From:$NotifyFrom\r\n$NotifyHeaders";

In the original version there was a space after the From:

That's it. Has anyone else had this problem? It would be murder to try
and debug without access to mail transaction logs.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/