[pmwiki-users] Page List Degrades Performance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 15:57:19 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 08:24:01AM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:41:43AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 07:25:32PM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
> > This is why I've generally been opposed to trying to do too
> > many things with (:pagelist:) -- it can get slow.
> > This is especially true for trying to create things
> > such as dynamic trails, navigation menus, etc.
>
> Ah.  But pagelist makes things so easy!
>
> > Also, any time you can use a trail as a source of pages,
> > things go _much_ faster because PmWiki doesn't have to
> > search the wiki.d/ directory for candidate pages.
>
> Aha!
> Of course, now what I want is some way of having my cake and eating it
> too.  What would be nice would be to have some way of creating a trail
> page (containing, say, a list of all the groups) and using that as the
> source trail for the SideBar navigation; but at the same time, be able
> to regenerate the contents of that trail page from a pagelist, so that
> one doesn't have to update it by hand.

In the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about ways to cache
pagelist results, but haven't come up with a good all-purpose solution.
Mainly I need to figure out where to store the cache results,
which gets back to the need for a standard work.d/ directory
for holding temporary files.  (See discussion thread on gmane
at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/36932 .)

> In other words, some way of caching the result of a pagelist.
>
> Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible, just a few details to be worked out.  :-)

> I don't think the pagelist-trail recipe is what is wanted for this,
> because I assume that that has the same problems as using a pagelist
> directly -- every time the pagelist-trail is referenced, it has to
> recalculate the contents of the trail by looking though the whole wiki.

You're correct, which is why I haven't been too thrilled thus far
with the idea of using pagelists for trail markups (as it would make
things slow).  But caching would seem to potentially solve a lot
of that.