[pmwiki-users] Using PMWIki to Manage Projects Need Help..

Pico Ben-Amotz pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Dec 5 06:08:29 CST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 5:44 AM, David Fionda <dfionda at candeos.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I am trying to see if I can use PMWIki to help manage a development project.
>
> The hierarchy would be client / project/ task
>
> I tried to create 1 wiki to contain all of the clients and using group
> permissions to restrict access. Each client is a group, however, I can only
> go down one level (to the project level)  and then all of the pages need to
> be at that same level .  For example, I need to have all of my meetings on
> one page, rather than a page for each meeting. ( Client --> Project-->
> Meeting-->December 4th)
>
> Am I missing something> Is there a way to accomplish this in the same wiki
> or do I have so set up separate instances of pmWiki for each client or each
> project in separate sibdirectories?

[snip]

You can create separate groups for each type of page -- one called
Clients, another called Projects and another called Tasks (or Actions)
etc -- and then use links and pagelists to relate those pages to
eachother as if those groups were each categories (see the
documentation about Categories).  For example, the Clients group could
have a pagelist in the GroupFooter (or header) that listed all pages
in the Projects group that link back to the currently displayed
client.  Then, when you create a client and link to that client in
several projects, the projects will be listed when you display the
page for that client.  The same applies for relating Projects to
Tasks, where a pagelist in the GroupFooter for a project will cause
tasks to be listed that contain links to the currently displayed
project.  As you work on this you may want to make use of
PageTextVariables so that your pagelists can display information
beyond, or instead of, the page names.

This approach does not address the issue of limiting read and write
access to different clients so that each can only work on their own
projects and tasks, but then, this is a wiki.  If tha is important,
you might want to setup a WikiFarm giving each client their own
separate Wiki using the same basic code.

Pico