[pmwiki-users] Speed up PmWiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Fri Aug 17 00:28:18 CDT 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007, Martin Spindler wrote:
> Petko Yotov wrote:
> > While I agree with you on the first paragraph, I truly believe it is
> > easier to write and run a wrapper that does the checks itself. No user
> > interfaces (and related bugs) [1], no configuration (except for once),
> > and no need to teach the user of some new function she needs to learn and
> > use.
>
> I am a little confused here. Why is it easier to write and run a wrapper
> compared to doing nothing but just writing the page's content to a
> static file (i.e. as it is, without any checking)?

It seems (to me) easier for a user to do nothing than to press some
button/call some url every time pages are saved and the cache needs to be
updated.

> What do you need a user interface for?
> Are you talking about the [edit]/[new] buttons? The

In your case you need some way to tell the script to cache the website: it
must try to understand what you want, handle and process your request, check
for your permissions etc., and output a response to your command (I did it, I
didn't do it). This is what I called "user interface" or "interaction", and
having some experience, I felt that the simpler automatic option is easier. I
may be proved wrong...

> only configuration I am aware of would be something like:
>  $StaticPageExportNoChecks                            = true;   #
> please, no silly checks
>  $StaticPageExportDeleteAllPagesAfterEditing = true;  # just forget
> about dependencies
>
> What are the new functions a user would need to learn?

If you are the only person who visits and edits the wiki, it is ok. But when
you have a couple of dozens of non-technically aware editors, men and women,
young and less young, in one case they just edit pages (stressfull enough),
in the other you need to explain to them : After editing the page, please
click on this button, then on that link, write (:staticcache on:), etc. or
else either our visitors will still see last-year's page, or our server will
crash, and it's your fault. :-)

Petko