[pmwiki-users] Speed up PmWiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Thu Aug 16 23:41:27 CDT 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007, Martin Spindler wrote:
> Petko Yotov wrote:
> > True, but if we do have less than one hit every X minutes, even old/slow
> > servers could handle the load.
>
> This is not only about the server being able to handle the load. It's
> also about how fast a page can be delivered. And avoiding to call PmWiki
> whenever it is possible can really improve response times.
>
> I (personally) don't need any 'smart' cache behaviour. I simply want to
> export a page as a static page, whenever I say so (e.g. whenever I edit
> something). Sometimes life can be much easier without doing too much of
> the 'smart' stuff in the background.

While I agree with you on the first paragraph, I truly believe it is easier to
write and run a wrapper that does the checks itself. No user interfaces (and
related bugs) [1], no configuration (except for once), and no need to teach
the user of some new function she needs to learn and use.

Petko

[1] DJB: Don't parse : there are two types of command interfaces in the world
of computing: good interfaces and user interfaces
[http://cr.yp.to/qmail/guarantee.html]