[pmwiki-users] ZAPForms: docs + future

The Editor editor at fast.st
Wed Aug 15 12:14:07 CDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/13/07, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> [...]
> The limitations you've encountered in PmWiki are of your own design.

Not true. They are the direct result of Pm's philosophy consistently
maintained. (And kudo's to him for being consistent). I've had enough
conversations with Pm, and enough experience working with two wiki
engines to know the difference. You can argue Pm's design philosophy
is superior, but you cannot say there are no limitations to that
philosophy.

> You are authoring your own wiki engine; a laudable effort in its own
> right as there are too few PHP-based wiki engines available
> (especially flat-file using). Heck, I'm working on my own Python wiki.
> But, I would never show open disrespect for PmWiki in its Community;
> that is unprofessional self-aggrandizement. I would especially never
> "dis" PmWiki while suggesting everybody going to my wiki's web site.

To avoid my motives being misinterpreted, I'll respond to the
specifics of your post offlist. My comments were directed to those
developing ZAP and should have been sent to them individually. Why
this list reacts so phobically to suggestions PmWiki might have
limitations or that it could be improved, is beyond me. But my
apologies just the same.

I was certainly not trying to "dis" PmWiki. I was only trying to
contribute to the future development of ZAP in PmWiki, and hopefully
make PmWiki stronger. If what I've been able to demonstrate
successfully cannot be discussed openly--who do you think will lose
more?

Cheers,
Dan