[pmwiki-users] Wiki philosophy

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Mon Aug 13 18:00:52 CDT 2007

wiki question wrote:
> We are setting up a wiki at work for an entire department. I am looking
> for a standard set of procedures to publish outlining the basic rules of
> engagement for wiki content.  Has anyone put together a list of
> procedures/rules on how one should behave in a wiki community?
> i.e  sign all content, don't change other workers content/page without
> authoring it or informing the original author. how to properly site
> other workers input, anything else that could be deemed necessary....
>

> Thanks for any feedback,
> Ben

Hi Ben

I have not posted any general rules of engagement on any wiki, but I do
think the following could be a start:

1) Set $EnablePostAuthorRequired = 1; so that an Author name is required
to post.

2) Create a GroupHeader for the Profiles group that indicates that it is
not good form to edit other people's profiles.

3) Suggest to authors that if they want a piece to be kept verbatim,
then sign it and set it off from the remaining text somehow (headings,
rules or indents).

4) Any text that is not a quote or a signed item (as in #3) is fair game
for editing.

5) Edit fearlessly, because the history function can be used to restore
any accidental or incorrect edit.

6) Treat the entire wiki (with the exception of items #2 and 3) as a
shared resource that belongs to the entire team.

7) If 6 isn't true or makes you nervous, you shouldn't be using a wiki.
A blog or message board system might be a better choice.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/