[pmwiki-users] Missing function in MarkupExpr (was:Skins authors and users : (in)Valid XHTML)

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 05:31:03 CDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Petko Yotov <5ko at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> Just letting you know that the w3 HTML validador [1] had recently its engine
> rewritten and now it invalidates more webpages because it finds more errors
> than before. Notably, the current PmWiki skin needs to be fixed [2] by
> replacing <html> with <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">. Probably
> other skins and websites that you manage need upgrades -- I had to fix this
> on non-pmwiki sites too, hopefully only the skins.
>
> Have fun,
> Petko
>
> [1] http://validator.w3.org/
> [2] http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpmwiki.org

I was just toying with the skin test page [1] in order to embed a link
to check the page validity, trying to write this as:

  Look %newwin%
[[http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri={$ScriptUrl}?n={*$FullName}&skin={$Skin}|here]]
what the W3C Markup Validation Service says about this page...

and just found that the resulting url may not be always valid.
BTW, the validator is eating the &skin=... specification as one of its
own parameters and drop it as unhandled stuff.
I manage to have it work thanks to PmWiki understanding both '?' and
'&' as  url parameter separator and not the validator.
Anyway, this would be better to have some kind of dedicated Markup
expression to handle this such as:

  {(urlencode http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki)}

  http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmwiki.org%2Fwiki

Should I open a PITS entry for this?