[pmwiki-users] "An author name is required" - needs to be more obvious

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 06:23:30 CDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Mildiner, Melvyn <Melvyn.Mildiner at verint.com> wrote:

> Is it as simple as adding the following setting? If so, can I
> respectfully suggest that this become the default:
>
> $AuthorRequiredFmt = %red%'''[++An author name is required++]'''%%;

With respect, I disagree that this needs to become a default as this
hard-codes a style. This imposes one style decision on all PmWiki
sites that forces many to fix; and I know you do not intend to impose
one style for that format on all PmWiki sites, but that is the net
effect of your request. However, if you look at the present default,
you will see that Pm has already provided a mechanism that allows one
site to set style:

SDV($AuthorRequiredFmt,
  "<h3 class='wikimessage'>$[An author name is required.]</h3>");

You see, Patrick allows you to use CSS to make that statement appear
however you want.
The only other places where h3.wikimessage appears is in
$BlocklistMessageFmt, $BlockMessageFmt and HandleDispatch();. So, the
CSS below injected into your site's Skin will fix the problem. The
current PmWiki default for $AuthorRequirementFmt has the advantage for
sites like one of mine where RED is a bad color choice.

h3.wikimessage { color: red; font-size: 1.3em; }

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill