[pmwiki-users] .htaccess redirect help

isherr at fes.uwaterloo.ca isherr at fes.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Aug 5 12:17:18 CDT 2007

Hey everyone.
I have a little problem I hope someone can help me solve.
Simply put, the majority of my website is based on pmwiki, but because
of the subdirectories involved, is found at this address:

http://vinylagain.com/pmwiki/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

Meanwhile, I have a simple "welcome" page that welcomes users to the
site and lets them manually redirect themselves to the wiki, which
lives here:

http://www.vinylagain.com

I've been trying to write an .htaccess file for my root directory to
redirect users to the longer wiki url, but nothing seems to work. I've
contacted my ISP and they've told me that all apache modules are
enabled (including mod_rewrite) and that there are no hidden .htaccess
files in my root directory that I should be worrying about.

I'm brand new to Apache configuration, but from what I've read about
.htaccess redirects, it seems like a simple enough process. My problem
is this:

1. how do I specify my root directory when writing a redirect? I've
been told that you have to specify your old directory relative to your
root, as in this example I've pulled from the web:

Redirect /temp http://www.kirupa.com/developer

If I want to redirect users from www.vinylagain.com (root), how do I
specify this directory? Is it just / ? */ ? I've seen a few different
ways to do it, and I'm not sure what to do.

2. Is it even possible to redirect users to the wiki? Would the fact
that the wiki is run from php scripts affect its redirect? Basically,
can one only redirect to .html pages, or .php scripts, too? Further,
could I leave the new address as above (/pmwiki.php) or do I need to
specify a page within the wiki (/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage)?

Hopefully it all makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
:: ira