[pmwiki-users] need help embedding Picasa image gallery

Moni Kellermann kellerfrau at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 01:49:54 CDT 2007

Hello, everybody,

I need an image gallery to display my photographs.
It should be able to display IPTC data from the images.
It should be searchable by keywords, words within captions etc.
It should be valid HTML/XHTML and CSS.
If possible, it should be tableless.

So far, I have used Stefan Jahn's great image gallery script

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PictureGallery

which can do all of the above but one: As it grabs the IPTC data on the
fly while creating the pages, that data of course is not searchable.

Then I tried out several non-wiki image galleries like

Coppermine
http://coppermine-gallery.net/

4images
http://www.4homepages.de/4images/features.php#english

Snipegallery
http://scripts.ringsworld.com/image-galleries/snipegallery-3.1.4/INSTALL/INSTALL.TXT.html

which all require MySQL. Snipegallery is the closest to what I would
like to use but in the end, I want something that is part of my pmwiki
installation.

So far, I had always skipped Picasa (Web Galleries) because I thought it
was dull. Now I gave it another try and I must admit that it really does
contain all the features that I want.

General advantages are:
- easy upload from within the local Picasa application
- automatic thumbnail creation and image-sizing
- images are NOT re-compressed but left alone
- creates keywords and captions from IPTC data
- galleries searchable by keywords and captions
- 1 GB web space to store the files
- create public and private albums
- no worries about data traffic
- geotagging of images by marking them on Google Maps w/Picasa Web Album
online
- geotagging of images on your computer w/Google Earth and Picasa
- easy export of folders(=albums) to static html pages via templates
- embed contents in other applications via RSS feeds

What I see as disadvantages:
- no sub-folders within the gallery
- not all IPTC data is displayed
- you cannot set a link back to your website on the PWA pages

I found a javascript solution to display the data from a Picasa Web
Gallery in another web page:

http://googlified.com/2007embedding-picasa-web-albums-on-your-site/

So, to embed it in pmwiki, I did the following:
- enable html and javascript in the config.php
- add enablehtml.php to the cookbook folder
- add the pwa.js file to the pmwiki folder =
http://moni-kellermann.de/pm63/pwa.js

A plain fresh pmwiki-2.2.0-beta63 installation can be found here:
http://moni-kellermann.de/pm63/

To display the PWA, I created a page "Gallery" that contains:
(:html:)
<script type="text/javascript">username = 'kellerfrau';
photosize='800';</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://moni-kellermann.de/pm63/pwa.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://moni-kellermann.de/pm63/Gallery/Gallery"></script>
(:htmlend:)

I did not know how to set the paths to the files with variables, so I
just typed them in.

Okay, so that all works.
But it is Javascript and it is not really pretty.

Is there anyone here who can help me by coming up with a php solution
instead of the Javascript?

So it can have a cookbook file like "picasaweb.php" and be seamlessly
integrated in pmwiki?

Thanx!
Moni Kellermann