[pmwiki-users] Standalone observations on GNU/Linux

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sun Apr 29 12:41:58 CDT 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 19:04, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 07:01:17PM +0200, Jan Erik Moström wrote:
> > Reply to Petko Yotov <5ko at free.fr> 07-04-29 04:04:
> > >I am absolutely thrilled that I finally managed to start and
> > >use the standalone version of PmWiki!!! Now I can wiki even if
> > >I am lost in a place without the tinyest WiFi access... :-))
> >
> > What is the advantage compared to running a local web server on
> > that machine?
>
> The biggest advantage is that it doesn't require installing or
> configuring another webserver -- only PHP is needed.  For people
> who just want to get a wiki up-and-running for simple use, avoiding
> the need to install and configure Apache or some other webserver
> is a big plus.

That is the main reason: if I only need PmWiki, I wouldn't install:
* Apache (hard to install and configure, always)
* a LAMPP package (easy to install, but database/perl are too much)
* Other server (Lighttpd...) - if never used it, need to stusy it quite
carefully

As sometimes I need to also use Windows, this means, that with a full-featured
server I need to have two different installations, and they never behave the
same way...

Compared even to Nanoweb (which is also PHP only) it does not need allmost any
configurations or special settings to install and start working (except the
changes that I suggested in my previous message). A sort of pico- or
femto-web :-)

Smaller also means reasonably secure (if you care about it on a local
machine).

And also, it is just one and only file of 8 kB, a possibility and excellent
starting point to learn more. (Adding directory listings, what about
wiki-farms...)

Petko