[pmwiki-users] Standalone observations on GNU/Linux

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sun Apr 29 06:44:39 CDT 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 04:43, José Geraldo Gouvêa wrote:
> Petko Yotov escreveu:
> > 2. [Not fixed] The wiki does not behave well with browser caching
> > $EnableIMSCaching = 1; : if I hit Shift+Reload in the browser (clear the
> > browser cache and refresh) and the page was not modified, I get an empty
> > blank screen, and then, all other pages get blank. I need to kill the
> > server and restart it. This may be not a big problem, but I had copied a
> > config.php from elsewhere with caching, so, I am reporting it here.
> > Reverting to the standard $EnableIMSCaching = 0; solves the problem.
> >
> > 3. The PmWiki Browser cache-control probably may be added to the server,
> > for the HandleFile() function.
>
> Just catching the opportunity: is it possible to have pmwiki cache html
> on the server instead of generating it again everytime a visitor reads
> the page? I mean to reduce server load and increase responsiveness...

There is such a feature but AFAIK it is experimental. See this post from
Patrick and the thread:
   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/29397

To enable it, you need to set this in your config.php:

   $PageCacheDir = "cache.d";
   $EnableHTMLCache = 1;

Not all pages can be cached.

Now, about the browser cache: if you set in config.php the code:
   $EnableIMSCaching = 1;
then, at least it will tell the browser to cache the pages and to use its'
stored cache. That way, it will still generate the page for every visitor,
but about only once per visitor. I believe this one is more tested than the
HTMLCache.

You can have both browser and HTML caching enabled.

Petko

P.S. When you reply and your message is addressed to the whole mailing-list,
use either "Reply to all" or "Reply to list" option, this way more people
could answer your question.