[pmwiki-users] Best practices - link to pages

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:25:54 CDT 2007

On 4/24/07, Stéphane Heckel <hsteph at club-internet.fr> wrote:
[...]
> With the use of  $PagePathFmt (
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagePaths ) suggested by Kathryn, I can,
> but I have to "manually" take care of "duplicates".
> I also understand that I can introduce "inconsistency" using this approach.
> As I'm moving from Confluence (where there is no duplicated pages at the
> 'space' level) to PmWiki, I know that there is no issue doing that.
>
> What I'm trying to do now, is to create a bidirectional system where both
> Confluence & PmWiki users can update pages using the same markup.
> I want to be able to copy/paste from Confluence to PmWiki & vice versa
> without changing anything.

It looks like Confluence uses Textile markup for page syntax. I've
authored the PmWiki Markdown recipe, and was planning on creating a
Textile recipe as well. But, if you're doing that yourself, I'll
kibbutz.

> The next issue I will face is if PmWiki users want to create "new" pages, I
> have to find a way to assign the new "pages" to the right "group", ...
> ie : I have 2 main  groups "Country & Partners", ... I collect partners name
> for each country.
[...]
> So, somewhere I have to prompt the user "which group" he wants to assign to
> this new page !

Try mapping Confluence Spaces (Spaces) to PmWiki Groups (Groups), and
you should retain page consistency. The bigger issue is ensuring
PmWiki authors do not create Groups where there are no Spaces. Try
Cookbook:LimitWikiGroups.

When converting PmWiki markup to Confluence, turn [[Group.Pagename]]
or [[Group/Pagename]] to [[Group:Pagename]], as this matches linking
to other spaces in Confluence. The [[pagename]] syntax should be
consistent between both as both expect such links to remain within the
page's namespace.

If you are doing this behind the scenes, you may consider using
Cookbook:Pywe as a way of posting pages to PmWiki.

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill