[pmwiki-users] fun with forms

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 19 15:20:29 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 03:13:14PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Another possibility is to prefix the elements in the form
> with "ptv_" or something like that.... but that's a bit
> less elegant.

Or, if HTML/XHTML allows it, we could always simply include
the '$:' prefix for the page text variable.  Then our input
controls would be:

    (:input text $:Summary :)
    (:input text $:Version :)
    (:input text $:Prerequisites :)

But I haven't found any definitive resource that specifies
the restrictions on valid control names in a form.

Or, we could try to make the (:input:) directive smart enough
to know what to do with '$:' prefixes so that it maps the
form elements into control names that are valid in HTML/HTTP.
Gee, that works out really nicely, so I think I will do that
and avoid the namespace issue altogether.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!