[pmwiki-users] Divisions and nesting

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 17 08:27:44 CDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 12:00:21PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 8:20:08 PM, Patrick wrote:
>
> > Excellent.  I've gone ahead and put a "voting page" on pmwiki.org,
> > at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/VoteOnNestedDivMarkup .
> > Please record any votes and comments there, after it's clear
> > what direction we're going I'll update the releases accordingly.
>
> I am curious as to why Kathryn and Dominique both registered a
> positive vote in favour of having both option 1 and option 3
> implemented, and also a positive vote to implement only one option.
> This seems to be a contradiction.

I interpret Dominique's +2/+1 votes as meaning "1 and 3 would be
great (+2), if not that then I'd prefer to see only one option (+1)."

I interpret Kathryn's +1/+2 votes the other way: "I'd prefer to see
only one option available (+2), but if there's to be more than one
then I'd like to see 1 and 3."  Combined with her votes for
option 1 (+2) and option 3 (+0), it's pretty clear that she's
strongly in favor of option one would like to see that as the
only markup, but wouldn't feel bothered if option 3 was also
available.

Personally, I'm finding this particular voting method to be
very powerful -- it makes it possible to see overall trends as
well as infer individual preferences.

As the votes stand now, it seems pretty clear to me that we'll
add the ">>>>div<<<<" markup, we won't be adding "2>>div<<", and
I'm not yet sure about ">>2 div<<" (which argues in favor of
not adding it yet).

> On the theme of divisions and not to loose th einformation gained I
> started creating a new cookbook page for Divisions Explained.
> This page is just a stub at present.
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DivisionsExplained

Thanks!