[pmwiki-users] Problem with login after uprading to Pmwiki2.2.0-beta44

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:10:26 CDT 2007

On 4/16/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking that might be the problem.  We have a bit of
> a chicken-and-egg problem here, I'll try to explain it.
>
> Inside of the authuser.php code, we make a call to FmtPageName()
> to convert the $AuthUserPageFmt variable into a true pagename.
> This is done in the AuthUserId() function with (line 54):
>
>       $pn = FmtPageName($AuthUserPageFmt, $pagename);
>
> However, FmtPageName() really works only if its passed a valid
> pagename.  So, if the page is invoked without a complete pagename,
> as in
>
>     http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki.php
>     http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki.php?n=SomeGroup
>
> then the call to FmtPageName() isn't able to determine the
> name of the Site.AuthUser page and so authorization fails.

This is exactly what was happening to me..  And with your explanation,
it makes perfect sense.

> So, it's a catch-22 of sorts.  There are a bunch of workarounds,
> but I'd rather try to figure out the underlying problem first.

And I'd be happy to provide any information I can about my particular
setup.  I don't believe it's anything truly unique, but maybe I have
something set that's not "normal" per se..

> The real question at this point is, when/how is authentication
> being requested on your site such that PmWiki isn't being
> given a complete pagename?  If we know that, we might be able to
> find a reasonable solution.

I have a farm config..  of sorts [1]..  :)  When I initially login,
I'm logging in at the directory level.  In fact, I don't think I ever
intentionally login with a full path.  So I believe that
ResolvePageName is needed before I can login.

What would be the effect of running ResolvePageName immediately before
all calls to FmtPageName?  Would that resolve the problem?

> Hope this helps,

A bit.. At the very least, it solves my immediate problem which is
good for me.  Moving forward, I have that trick in my arsenal.  I
would, however, like to see this fixed if possible, so I'm willing to
be a guinea pig if needed.  :)

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiFarmAlternative

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold